No beef with the government

Sands China has accepted the Government's decision to allocate, for now, only 100 tables for Parisian . The new casino resort opens on Tuesday with a total of 410 tables, which requires the group to take 310 tables from other casinos, TDM Radio reported. "We respect and accept the government's position because there is a three percent ceiling on the annual growth of the gaming tables . Therefore , we understand the decision, “ Wilfred Wong, president of the company stated.
The gaming operator has fallen short of the 250 tables that requested that were assigned to two competitors : the Galaxy and Studio City. For the Parisian , as with the Wynn Palace , the Government allocated a total of 150 tables, with 100 arriving at the opening, and the remaining to be distributed through 2018.

Dismissed case

An attempt to claim ownership of shares in Stanley Ho’s gaming empire worth an “unimaginable sum” has failed, as the High Court of Hong Kong ruled that evidence presented by the claimant, billionaire Eric Hotung, was not accepted and deemed inconsistent, according to the South China Morning Post (SCMP).
Hotung sued his former secret lover Winnie Ho Yuen Ki over HK$2 million (US$250,000) he said he had given her to invest in her brother Stanley Ho Hung Sun’s gaming business in the territory in 1961.
The publication notes that Mr. Hotung denies that the money transferred to Ms. Ho was a gift, commenting that the amount equalled two-thirds of his personal wealth at the time while his lawyer argued that the amount was an “unimaginable sum for anyone at that time”. The amount would be worth roughly HK$640 million now, according to SCMP.

No fireworks yet

It’s still too early to say Macau’s US$29 billion (MOP231 billion) casino industry is rebounding, even after August’s bump in revenue halted a two-year decline, says Lui Che Woo, the billionaire chairman of Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd., the biggest operator here in terms of market share, Bloomberg reports.“While Macau’s gambling industry has hit the bottom, it’s still too early to call it a recovery,” Lui, 87, said. “Give me two more years to see. It takes time to gradually attract more mass market customers. “Macau last month reversed a 26-month decline in gaming revenue with a 1.1 per cent increase to MOP18.8 billion (US$2.4 billion), according to the Gaming Inspection and Co-ordination Bureau.

A Parisian affair

According to statements by Wilfred Wong, the president of Sands China, The Parisian Macao will open with 410 gaming tables, TDM Radio reports, of which 49 will be diverted to the VIP segment. The government has pledged to allocate 150 tables to The Parisian operation, with 100 of these tables being available for the opening, while the remaining 50 will come in two tranches of 25 in January 2017 and 2018, respectively. Most of the tables for the September 13 opening will be transferred from other Sands’ developments.

Wine biz bet

Despite total wine imports from Portugal to Macau dropping 14 per cent year-on-year in the first half of 2016, Portuguese wine export company Lusovini maintains its bet on the city.The Portuguese trading company, which opened a representative office earlier this year via its local partner Adega Royale Limited, asserts that the Chinese market continues to be extremely attractive.“Macau is definitely an entry gate for the Chinese market for many Portuguese products apart from wines, and by having a permanent office in the territory we can establish a direct connection with Chinese clients,” Export Director for Asia, Pedro Santos, told Business Daily.

Driven by necessity

With regard to a recent complaint by the public claiming police intercept drivers on the roads to find illegal taxi drivers in the city by checking their mobile devices, Secretary for Security Wong Sio Chak replied that it is necessary for the police to act in this way in order to catch illegal taxi drivers. “We have not reduced manpower to find illegal taxi drivers in the city. In fact, we have increased our police staff to investigate further to tackle this, both by the Public Security Police Force (PSP) and Judiciary Police (PJ),” Mr. Wong said on the sidelines of a public event yesterday.

Iao Kun rolling chips tumble

Local junket operator Iao Kun saw its VIP rolling chip turnover plunge by three quarters in August compared to the same month in 2015, according to its announcement on Tuesday, Business Daily reports. Last month, the company’s rolling chip turnover generated by the Macau market amounted to US$110 million (MOP880 million), nosediving some US$330 million vis-a-vis US$440 million one year ago. Last week, the company announced it had closed one VIP room in Sands Cotai Central on August 31 as it is ‘undertaking a comprehensive strategic review of its VIP gaming room operations in Macau due to the ongoing challenging VIP gaming environment’.

Where there’s smoke . . .

The Health Bureau has revealed that 86 casino smoking rooms were approved by the government in early July; 73 applications for smoking rooms from 21 casinos are pending approval, TDM Radio reported. In response to Legislator Lei Cheng I’s written question, the Health Bureau said it has been liaising with the Gaming Inspection and Co-ordination Bureau (DICJ) to perform periodic inspections in casinos. According to the Health Bureau, 46 cases were prosecuted in the first half of the year, with 561 complaints received via the Smoking Hotline; 90 per cent of the cases were referred to DICJ for follow-up.