Some 60 of the tourists affected by a traffic accident involving two tour buses and a private car departed the MSAR yesterday, while two others remained hospitalised and a third stayed behind to accompany her hospitalised family member, said the Tourism Crisis Management Office. The accident occurred on Avenida Marginal Flor de Lotus in Taipa on Tuesday afternoon, resulting in 57 people being sent to Conde de Sao Januario Hospital, of whom 53 were tourists from Mainland China. Of these Mainland China tourists, 29 were from Hunan, while the remaining 34 tourists were from Shandong, all suffering injuries.
The city’s Secretary for Administration and Justice Sonia Chan Hoi Fan said that an Electoral Commission is expected to be set up next month for the Legislative Assembly elections next year, local Chinese broadcaster TDM Radio reported on Tuesday. The Electoral Commission will include one chairman and five members, an addition of one member compared to the pervious election, the Secretary Chan said. According to the official, this new member will be from the Public Prosecutor’s Office (MP), while the others will follow past experiences – with one judge from the local courts acting as chairman and various Bureau heads as members. The Secretary said the government is still waiting for local courts to recommend candidates to chair the Commission.
Following the first Macau-licensed vehicle entering the neighbouring Chinese township of Hengqin on Tuesday, the city’s Secretary for Security, Wong Sio Chak, said the scheme for local vehicles to enter the Chinese city will be expanded in stages in consideration of a variety of factors such as the island’s capacity.
The Secretary added that the discussion about the second stage of the scheme will soon take place, affirming that later stages will soon be introduced. According to the official, some 10 local vehicles have been approved to enter Hengqin in the current stage, of which nine drove onto the Mainland island on Tuesday, the first day of implementation.
Sociedade de Turismo e Diversões de Macau (STDM) lost its court battle to overturn the government’s dispatch, which took back a 968-square-metre parcel of land granted to the company in Estrada de D. João Paulino on Penha Hill. A ruling by the Court of Second Instance released last week reads that the company’s concession over the plot expired in 2013 and thus could not be extended based on the current land law, despite the fact that the Court agreed STDM was not liable for the plot being left idle, but instead the MSAR government, due to its mistakes regarding the plot’s buildable area that led to the company not being able to begin construction on the site. STDM had planned to build a 3-storey villa on the plot.
The MSAR’s Marine and Water Bureau has provided a one-day supplementary course for yacht sailors following the launch of the Zhongshan-Macau Free Yacht Scheme last Wednesday. Some 29 sailors attended the course to further acquire knowledge about sea matters related to the two regions. Qualifications were given out to those who passed the assessment. The Bureau will consider organising more similar courses in the future, depending on the actual situation and needs. According to the regulations relating to the Free Yacht Scheme between the two regions, sailors from the MSAR need to participate in the course and pass the assessment in order to be approved for sailing.
The MSAR’s Executive Council presented a bill last Friday to make sexual harassment a crime. Crimes of sexual harassment, including inappropriate physical sexual contact, will be subject to a maximum imprisonment of one year and 120 days. The revisions of the Penal Code include extending the law to cover victims who are 16 years of age or younger. The current law only covers children aged 14 or under. Those who are accused of sexual harassment of minors aged 18 or under will be sentenced to a maximum of three years imprisonment. Prison sentences could also reach a maximum of five years for crimes involving pornography with minors under 18, according to the Executive Council.
The MSAR Government is considering subsidising firms engaged in Sino-Luso trade in order to encourage their use of the city’s future export credit insurance scheme, the Secretary for Economy and Finance Lionel Leong Vai Tac said yesterday. The establishment of the scheme was proposed by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang during his recent visit to the city. According to the Secretary, the MSAR Government is still looking for insurers for the scheme and has received certain positive feedback. He hopes the scheme can be established as soon as possible and that the MSAR Government can achieve certain results related to the scheme in 2017.
The city’s Gross Value Added of all economic activities declined by 21.9 per cent year-on-year in real terms in 2015 due to the substantial adjustment of Gaming & Junket Activities, according to the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). In the year, the importance of the tertiary sector to the economy dropped from 94.9 per cent to 92.2 per cent, in which the share of Gaming & Junket Activities tumbled by 10.4 percentage points to 48 per cent. Meanwhile, the share of the secondary sector rose from 5.1per cent to 7.8 per cent, with Construction growing 2.4 percentage points year-on-year to 6.5 per cent.