Vessels warned

The marine authorities have a multi-communication system in place to alert the industry about severe weather conditions, put into practice during Typhoon Hato

The maritime authorities had activated the communication system to alert ship owners and those in the maritime industry about the imminent arrival of Typhoon Hato before the storm battered the city on August 23.
‘Before the typhoon came, the Marine and Water Bureau [DSAMA] reminded the maritime industry to pay attention to safety through electronic media, press releases and websites,’ the Bureau told Business Daily.
The maritime authorities added that they have advised the industry ‘to ensure the safety of vessels and the facilities at sea were securely moored, and to be aware of the safety threat caused by adverse weather and storm surge.’
As for the general matter of communications – which was one of the focuses of local critiques in the wake of the storm, with the website of the Macao Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau (SMG), for instance, being down for several hours during the highest point of Hato’s impact in the city – DSAMA explained that ‘weather and typhoon updates were transmitted via radio broadcast and the mobile app.’
It added that the attendant industry ‘could access the website of the Bureau and the mobile app for information on real-time and predicted tides, so as to be well prepared for the typhoon.’
Yet, big vessels and business ships were only required to ‘suspend’ their activities and ‘find shelter’ after signal no. 3 was hoisted, according to the relevant authorities.
Business Daily also reached out to the Civil Protection Bureau, which is operated by the Unitary Police Services (SUP), to enquire about prevention measures applied preceding the arrival of the typhoon, as well as the ways its alert and warning system was triggered, but the Bureau had not replied to our questions by the time this story went to print.
Business Daily also contacted the Macau Yacht Club in order to learn if it has worked in collaboration with the maritime authorities, but did not hear from the people in charge before this story was printed.